Sunday, February 22, 2009

Joy is in the Journey

I know this picture is from inside the visitor's center, but it was 18 degrees and windy.

It never seems to be too cold for Miss Boo though.  Note the unzipped coat.
This Tabernacle was built around 1845 out of logs.
Or 1847...like the sign says.
Mr. Finn noted that if you look closely you can see that the wind is blowing their clothes back.  As I mentioned above it is windy in Omaha.
The "kids" enjoyed playing with the miniature wagons.
Our reluctant pioneer.
Not so reluctant hand cart pusher.
Princess nails.
All things princessy!  Miss Boo was in heaven.  She gifted this "barbie" to her brother who promptly gifted it back.  She then re-gifted it to me!  The pink eyes are my favorite.

Nebraska was so worth the short trip. The kids love Hotels and it helped to keep them quiet while driving.

We were up at 8 a.m. and in the pool.  I know! I know! You don't think that could possibly have been me in that pool, but I have you all fooled. I am slowly being made into a morning person out of necessity and as for the pool, I was in it up to my chin. That's about as far as I go! It was a blast racing my 4 year in the pool.

We went to the Visitor's Center and just for you Stacey I checked on that violin, and YES it is the original. The one in the case, not the one the mannequin is holding. I believe it was Isaac Morley's. Beautiful instrument. Rosey did dress up as a pioneer, but it was short lived. Once again, I know you are all surprised! They enjoyed playing with the handcart and toy wagons, but that was pretty much it. If they would have let the Dude ride the elevator it would have been the best time of his life thus far. But, thanks to a family history class he was banned. (insert puppy dog eyes here.)

It's been a while since I have enjoyed a road trip as much. I think it was nice because we didn't have any plans etched in stone. We just did what we wanted, keeping our children's moods in mind and didn't keep to a schedule.

Of course, we were back for the Princess Party. Oh My! Princesses galore with painted finger nails. Miss Boo was truly in her element. I had meant to stay for a short time, but she was into everything they did, so that meant two hours with 10 very excited 4-5 year olds. Gave me some great ideas for her party in April. Hannah made sugar cookies in lieu of cake and had the girls make fruit pizza with them. What a clever lady!

Today I taught the lesson in R.S. about "Having Joy in the Journey". This was a much needed lesson for me as I am trying to find that balance in my life with all the chores to be done, spending quality time with the kids, church, husband, friends, you name it and realize that we need to find JOY in the moments and not wait for the timing to be right. I am going to try a little harder at it all with the desire to run amuck in all the JOY!

6 comments:

Tamaratravel said...

You are crazy...long drive and short trip...plus going to a party...I don't envy the snow either...In all though it looks like you had a blast....

Shannon said...

It sounds like you guys had a great family trip. Thanks for including the temple photo... I guess I can forgive you for not standing in that ferocious weather to take it up close!
The princess party sounds exciting - and exhausting. Brave mom!

Anonymous said...

I wish I was there, it sounds like you had alot of fun. I love to dress up.

Brian and Leilani said...

Sounds like a fun trip. Sometimes the trips with less plans are the funnest!

Brian and Leilani said...

I had a dream last night that I came to visit you. It was a fun dream!

Robin said...

Oh do! Please come on your way to Florida. You have to come right by here!