Thursday, September 25, 2008

Violation



Has anyone been part of an HOA Board? This is my first experience and I have been doing it for two years. Yesterday I was positive that it was two years too long and was ready to throw in the towel. It is a job that is hard for me because I do take it very personally as I want my neighborhood to stay as beautiful as the day we moved in. So, therefore I get irritated when residents refuse to clean up their homes or they send nasty letters to the HOA expressing their hatred of such HOA. Funny, didn't they pay any attention to the 20 page document they had to sign regarding the HOA and Dues that they have to pay?

It has been an eye opening experience into human beings and has been a test of charity for me. I have found myself in some dark places dealing with issues around the community and don't like that side of me. One of the things that bothers me the most is that homeowners believe they can do whatever they want with Common Area. (This is land owned by the HOA.) We have people constantly "landscaping" areas they believe are their right because it is in front or back of their home. I find it so strange that someone would just do something on what does not belong to them and when questioned get indignant and angry.

Yes, this has turned into another rant. Sorry!

Actually, I am just conflicted about my role.  I feel like I have to be here in order to protect what Ralph works so hard to keep over our head.  I want others to feel the same and am saddened they don't.  I almost turned in the key last night at our monthly meeting, not sure if I needed this added stress to my life, but walked away still a member, at least for a while.  

Anyway, the picture is not of our neighborhood, but I sent it to the other Board Members as a "Violation".  I am so glad we aren't that "Hillbilly".

6 comments:

The White House said...

You crack me up!!@!
I was just wondering where that
house was!

The Sorensen Family said...

Robin,
I just noticed a comment you left on my blog ages ago! So good to hear from you and see that you're doing well. Wow Rosey is just gorgeous!!!!!! Keep-in-touch, and sorry about infuriating homeowners.

Wiltbank Family said...

Hey! How did you get the picture of my YARD? ha ha That is toooo funny!! What some people think of. I'm gonna take a picture of what is in my yard. It tops that. Go look at my blog, I will post it there. You're going to Die laughing. I need a HOA. All I can say is MY RED NECK HUSBAND!
Rachel

Anonymous said...

Too funny! Is the couch flying? I think I would be a little worried myself....not so much the yard but the obvious strange floating thing!!!:) lol !!! I would defiantely call the board, call the fire department, call the priest!!! :P lol I could use an HOA commitee for our barn! I swear we have so much crap in it I will NEVER get it cleaned!!!! :) Love ya, and hang in there. I once heard a quote, "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to stand by and do NOTHING!!!" In your case, the triumph of TRASH!!! Good luck!

Shannon said...

I am sure I wouldn't think it was funny if I had to look at it every day, but that photo is hysterical!
And I am sorry that you have to go through the HOA stress. You are a crazy lady with a big heart to have ever signed on to that job! :)

Anonymous said...

That pic is hilarious, please tell me that's photoshopped! I was thinking of joining our HOA, theres a meeting next week, but now I don't know...