Monday, January 24, 2011

A New Day, A New Attitude

Ok.  So I totally freaked out my husband yesterday.
I get this call from him that went like this.

Hi... how are you?

I'm fine.

Realllly?

Yes.  I am o.k.

Are you sure about that?

Why?

I just read your blog and you don't sound o.k.

I told him I had just got my b*%@ kicked by our children.

He said he understood.  That it is hard when you are trying to implement rules and boundaries with the kids that it can be really hard.

It was a really hard week.  The first week that he is gone to Minnesota is usually difficult for the children anyways, but they have started completely ignoring me and that had to dealt with.  It was hard.  I wanted to cave many times, which made me feel useless.  I didn't cave, but it was hard.  Did I mention it was hard?

We survived.  No one was harmed in the making of these boundaries although my skin is a bit thicker.

I love my children.  I am grateful that they are so strong in their wills.  Someday I will be more grateful than I am now when they are in front of really hard temptations and decisions.  Then I will be extremely grateful.

Church was canceled yesterday for snow.  I really needed to go to church if only for the break from the children.  About 5 p.m. I got a text from a friend stating that she was going to be baptized that night at 8 p.m.

I struggled with that news.  It was late, the kids go to bed earlier than that and the roads weren't particularly ideal.  And... I looked terrible.
No church = no makeup, etc.

I battled until 6:30 and then asked Heavenly Father what I should do.  I asked the children and then we got ready.  We arrived just in time and I am so glad for this experience.

Miss Boo was anxious to see a real baptism as she is getting baptized when she is eight and is already planning it.  The Dude... not so much.  He was tired and cranky.

 After 5 attempts due to not enough water in the font, she was baptized.  This caused some concern for Miss Boo.  I assured her that on her day we would find her some pants to wear instead of the sixties dress they had for Kenna.
The children were good for the first half hour, but the yawns were abundant and they were having a hard time concentrating.  I laughed at the Dude when we were going to sing a song.  He declared quite loudly that it was horrible.  (his favorite adjective these days)  After listening for a bit he declares even more loudly that this is a song from Primary and starts singing, humming loudly.  I loved it.

I am proud of them for "behaving".

It turned out to be a good day.

And... a good samaritan shoveled the snow off our driveway.  What a great thing to do.  I was just grumbling to myself that I didn't want to go out in the cold to do it and Voile!, it was done.

I am better today.  Thank you all for your support, love and advice.
No need to pull out the straight jacket just yet.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Not getting a break makes things extra tough! I often tell Kurt that to the kids I am just "white noise" - they hear me giving them directions so often they've stopped listening to the words. I am like the teacher on the old Charlie Brown specials: "whaaw-whaaw-whaaaaw-whaw."
I am glad that you were able to get out to the baptism, that someone shoveled for you and that you are having a better day. Tender mercies!

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm SO glad someone shoveled your snow. Bless them whoever they are! I'm impressed you went....I'm not sure I would have! ;) I would have gave them some broth, without any bread, spanked them all soundly and sent them to bed!! ;) lol Just kidding, but now I can TOTALLY relate to that lady in the shoe! Sure love ya and glad you had fun at the baptism..or at least got out for a little bit! ;)